Sunday, May 26, 2013

HMHS St Patrick

This is the ship that brought a wounded Gilbert safely back to Blighty, only to be sent back to the front to fight for the remainder of the war.

There are monochrome photographs out there, but this fabulous colour painting is by William Albert Edward Jeneway, a ships steward who loved to paint and who sold many of his paintings to passengers aboard ship. He painted HMHS (His Majesty's Hospital Ship) St Patrick at the very time it was being used to ferry the British wounded back from the Western Front.

It's the perfect reference for Gilbert's War. I can't ask for better than that!


1 comment:

  1. Hi Gary. Great to see you found this image of my Jeneway watercolour. I would love to see the animation regarding your grandfather. I have an infatuation with a well known UK animated movie myself. Have a look at my website wwww.animalfarmworld.com
    More info on William Jeneway:
    http://jeneway.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=176189471

    Cheers

    Chris

    ReplyDelete