Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Giving the beast a voice

Since there are no handily available good quality recordings of what a MarkIV tank sounds like, I'm creating my own. I do have a few clues, in how it has been represented in films etc in the past.

A lot of what is available is no good for me - I need a clean sound, ideally built up from elements that I can mix myself, so that I can create a horde of bellowing behemoths. I can't wait to hear it.

One of the sounds I DO have sorted is that of the trench whistle, a haunting double-tone whistle used to signal a call to action - usually to leave the safety of the trenches and go 'over the top'.

The battle of Cambrai took place on a foggy dawn in November, so there'll be an odd dead echo to the soundtrack, adding an eeriness to it - until all hell breaks loose, of course.

I'm also on the lookout for a Sopwith Camel engine noise.*
*Just sorted the above, via email. Fab!

I have plenty of gun sounds and some explosions - but I need to draw up a list of other audio I'll need, specifically for the trailer.

EDIT: Following on from a suggestion by an ex tank commander (of both Chieftain and Challenger main battle tanks) I asked Bovington Tank Museum if they had any audio of their Mark IV, and they're sending me a recording this weekend. So, Gilbert's War will feature absolutely authentic tank sounds!

No comments:

Post a Comment